At Illogan we aim to prepare children to participate in a rapidly changing world in which work and other activities are increasingly transformed by access to varied and developing technology. We recognise that Computing is an important tool in both the society we live in and in the process of teaching and learning. Our approach to Computing reflects this, along with our shared vision that we are all able to Aspire, Believe, Create and Dazzle together.
Children use computing tools to find, explore, analyse, exchange and present information responsibly, creatively and with discrimination. They learn to employ their Computing skills and knowledge to enable rapid access to ideas and experiences from a wide range of sources. Our vision is for all teachers and learners in our school to become confident users of our Computing curriculum and IT resources so that they can develop the skills, knowledge and understanding which enable them to use appropriate computing resources effectively as powerful tools for teaching & learning.
The aims of our Computing teaching are to enable children to:
- To enable children to become autonomous, independent users of computing technologies, gaining confidence and enjoyment from their activities,
- To develop a whole school approach to computing ensuring continuity and progression in all strands of the Computing National Curriculum,
- To use computing technologies as a tool to support teaching, learning and management across the curriculum,
- To provide children with opportunities to develop their computing capabilities in all areas specified by the curriculum,
- To ensure computing technologies are used, when appropriate, to improve access to learning for children with a diverse range of individual needs, including those with SEN and disabilities,
- To maximise the use of computing technologies in developing and maintaining links between other schools, the local community including parents and other agencies.
The three strands of our Computing planning include Understanding and Using technology, Online Safety, and Coding.
Gooseberry Planet is an online game-based platform which we use to support our teaching of online safety.
Espresso Coding is a coding based platform that we engage with here at Illogan for programming and coding skills.