Phonics and early reading and writing skills are taught throughout KS1 using the Read Write Inc scheme (RWI). When appropriate, KS2 children will also be supported by RWI through the use of 1-1 booster sessions or attendance at daily RWI lessons. KS2 children are taught through daily guided reading sessions with their teacher.
“Giving children a love of books is one of the greatest gifts” Anonymous
All teaching staff value and promote reading by:
- Giving pupils opportunities to talk about and share books
- Allowing pupils to select and order class reading books
- Having at least two daily story telling sessions
- Having at least one daily independent reading / quiet reading time
- Having a meaningful reward system (raffle tickets / reading champion assembly)
- Having an inviting book area in their classrooms with accessible, appropriate levelled books.